The Cornerstone Centre at St John’s is a community hub currently under development in the heart of Edinburgh. Once complete the many groups and charities that use the building, as well as thousands of visitors, will return to a significantly enhanced and accessible space. Opening this autumn, the newly refurbished space will include:
- The Hall: The Hall will become much more flexible allowing for the creation of smaller or larger spaces to meet the needs of the various groups and businesses that will come here.
- The Terrace: The Terrace will also become an inviting space for the Cornerstone Bookshop, Cafe and One World Shop. This and the Hall will be the heart of the revitalised building, a space open to everyone, a place for the exchange of ideas, enhancing the enjoyment of all who come here.
- Accessibility: A new central staircase and a lift will connect all parts of the building, making it fully disability friendly.
- Office Space: A mezzanine floor will be added, providing new desk and meeting space for hire for charitable organisations as well as improving our staff’s working conditions.
- Heating: The boiler has been upgraded, making the building more fuel efficient and kinder to the environment.
The project is being delivered in three phases:
- Phase one: West Terrace completed May 2017. Includes the retail spaces and new loos.
- Phase two: East Terrace completed September. Includes the new staircase and lift.
- Phase three: The Hall, cafe and mezzanine completed September. Includes the extended hall and office spaces.